The Masias Free University is an educational project of the Recartografías Association to create an undergraduate school in which a wide range of knowledge linked to rural Mediterranean traditions.
The Masias Free Universityis located in the rural hamlet of Mas Blanco (San Agustin municipality, Aragon, Spain) and more precisely in the old Escuela Mixta (school) unveiled in 2016 by the Recartografias Association after a long land stewardship project agreed with the San Agustín council (Teruel).
The aim of this initiative is to offer courses, seminars and workshops for school pupils, high school and university students, as well as for anyone interested in studying in a natural environment. The staff of this university comes mostly from different faculties of the University of Valencia.
The activities organized at the Masias Free University are divided into:
- Day visits to Mas Blanco: Anyone interested can take a guided tour to mas Blanco and our rehabilitation project. You can check the dates of visit here.
- Seminars: Short term courses with a theoretical perspective:
- Workshops: Practical courses with the aim of restoring old traditions with an ecological perspective from the rural Mediterranean societies in Spain.
- Workshop on traditional baking
- Workshop on commoning
- Workshop on depopulation and rural decline, may 2017
- Fieldworks: The aim is to work for some days in Mas Blanco, in order to restore areas included in land stewardship agreements
- School restoration fieldwork (2014-2016)
- Communal oven restoration (2016)
- Environmental volunteering for agriculture and gardening (2016)
- Teacher’s house restoration (August 2017)